My cousin-in-law, Angela, tagged me on one of her two “make-up” tags and one challenge. I decided I’d go ahead and do them all since I’m lacking for interesting blog material lately.
Post the 6th picture in your 6th folder.
This is my favorite picture of my three best friends and me. This was my fifth year at A&M in mine and Maria’s room in McFadden Hall, nine years ago. One Friday afternoon we all wound up in there (probably trying to figure out what we were going to do that night) and we grabbed someone to take a picture of us. All four of us (the Yee Haw Sisterhood) have this photo framed somewhere in our houses. For a while, Maria’s was over her guest toilet. We gave her a hard time about that. 🙂 We’ve been best friends since college (which is over 10 years now!), travel from all over the country to get together, have shared in births, deaths, good times and bad and I still call them all my sisters. I love you girls!
Grab the nearest book.Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your blog along with these instructions. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.
Ok, my book, Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads into Street Couture by Melissa Alvarado, Hope Meng and Melissa Rannels, has a picture of a mitten on p. 56, so I’m working from p.57, the facing page:
“Lay your sweater out flat on the work surface. Place your left hand down on the sweater so that your four fingers are touching each other, and your thumb is out to the side. (Think of the hand signal for “stop”.) Be conscious of whree you are placing your hand on the sweater–the design underneath your hand will be the design on your mitten. If you want to make things easy on yourself, line your hand up so that the botton of the mitten is the bottom of the sweater.”
Now that I’m thinking about it, I just bought some adorable wool sweaters from Goodwill that screamed for some upcycling, I might need to make some mittens from this book. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with these badboys since I bought them!
Now, for the matter of that challenge. Post some “sparklies” (bright spots in life in the midst of all the “bad news” out there).
1. It’s FINALLY fall feeling around here! The leaves have been changing in this part of Georgia for a while now (our foliage rivals that of New England’s but we don’t quite get the notoriety that they do) but the weather has not exactly been all that “fall-like.” Today when we woke up, it was down right COLD outside. By 3 o’clock it was only 64 degrees. Woo hoo! I love it! I opened the doors to get a draft flowing through the house and blow out the staleness.
2. Ryan only has THREE weeks left at OCS! YAY! Do the happy dance! He graduates November 13, two days before our fifth wedding anniversary. That’s one heckuva anniversary present!
3. When I got up this morning to go fix Aidan’s breakfast, I saw the light on in Ryan’s office…Daddy was home! He took Aidan from me and let me go back to bed for a while. I totally wasn’t expecting him to be here since they were supposed to be in the field. Apparently they came in from the field for the day to clean up and refit and they got a post-pass for the day until 3pm. I love unexpected surprises like that (I did accidentally oversleep and miss church…oops!).
4. I’m getting so much better at sewing! I really love making Aidan’s clothes and can’t remember the last time I spent more than about $20 on something new for her. I get moments where I feel like I’m channeling my mother when I see something in a shop or online think “Do you know how easy it would be for me to make?!?” I recently learned how to do French seams which I’m thrilled about. I’m hoping I can use it in place of serging seams on knits (sergers are expensive!)
5. Gas prices are getting lower and lower everyday! Woo hoo! I get irritated when I buy gas on one day and the next day I see that the prices have dropped another 5-6 cents!
6. I finished Aidan’s Halloween costume. She informed me that she wanted to be a “Scary Witch”. I added a bit of a glam touch so she’s a Glamorous, Scary Witch. I’ll definitely post pictures of her when she puts it on for the first time.
There ya go, six little sparklies for your reading pleasure. I tag Vallen, Amber, and Annie and anyone else who wants to play along!